To be considered eligible for creator ads revenue sharing you must
- Be subscribed to X Premium or Verified Organizations.
- Have at least 5M organic impressions on your cumulative posts within the last 3 months.
- Have at least 500 followers
Once you meet the eligibility criteria, you’ll need the following
- Stripe Account: This is required for payouts. X has partnered with Stripe as its payment processor.
- Adherence to Terms: You must adhere to Ads Revenue Share Terms, including Creator Monetization Standards and X Rules.
All eligible X Premium and Verified Organizations subscribers can participate as long as they meet the criteria and join
To apply for both Creator Subscriptions and Ads Revenue Sharing:
- Go to the “Monetization” section in your settings.
- Access “Monetization” through the side menu on iOS and Android, or the overflow menu on the web.
Now, Income from this ad revenue sharing by X (formerly Twitter) is liable to GST if it exceeds the threshold of Rs 20 lakh in a year. This is because the remuneration received by individuals from X as part of its advertisement revenue-sharing plan is considered to be a supply under the GST law. The tax will be levied at 18% on the amount above Rs 20 lakh.
Here are some important points to note
- The threshold of Rs 20 lakh is applicable to all individuals and entities, including social influencers.
- The income from ad revenue sharing will be aggregated with other income from all sources, such as rental income, interest income, and professional fees, to determine whether the threshold has been exceeded.
- If the threshold is exceeded, the individual or entity will be required to register for GST and collect GST on all supplies made, including the ad revenue-sharing income.
- The GST liability will be on the recipient of the ad revenue sharing income, i.e., the social influencer.