What is UDIN?
- It is a unique 18 digit system generated number generated on the UDIN portal.
- All practicing Chartered accountants are required to generate for every attested report or documents.
What is the objective of UDIN?
It has been noticed that financial documents/ certificates attested by third person misrepresenting themselves as CA Members
These non CA members practicing are misleading the Authorities and Stakeholders.
To restrain such practices, the Professional Development Committee of ICAI has come out with a concept of UDIN i.e. Unique Document Identification Number.
This will helps the Regulators/Banks/Third parties to check the authenticity of the documents.
What is the reference of 18 Digit of UDIN?
The 18- digits UDIN (YY MMMMMM AANNNAANNN) will be like; 20876235AKTSBN1359
First 2 Digits are YY – Last 2 digits of the Current Year (20 in this case)
Next 6 Digits are MMMMMM – ICAI’s Membership No. (876235 in this case)
Next 10 Digits are AANNNAANNN –Alpha-numeric generated randomly by the system (AKTSBN1359).
When it is required to generate UDIN?
UDIN is to be generated at the time of signing of the certificate or report.
However, CA can generate the same within 15 days from the date mentioned in the certificate. i.e it should be generated within 15 days of signing of document.
There is no option to generate the UDIN in advance.
What are the certificates covered ?
It is compulsory to generate UDIN for all certificates like
- Turnover certificate
- Certificate of valuations
- Certificates of foreign remittance i.e. Form 15CB
- Certificate issued under RERA
- Certificates related to funds utilization in case of Trust ect.
The above list is an illustrative list.
Note : UDIN will be applicable for both manually as well as digitally signed certificates.
What is the registration procedure on UDIN Portal?
- Go to the site https://udin.icai.org/.
- Click on “membership registration”
- Enter your six digit membership number, DOB and enrollment number, submit it and you will get an OTP on your registered mobile number and Email.
- On confirmation, a username and password will be sent to your registered mobile number and Email.
What are the consequences of not generating UDIN?
Any violation in the ICAI Act or rules, regulations by a member would amount to misconduct.
Non-generation of UDIN will lead to non-adherence of the Council decision and may attract disciplinary proceedings as per the Second Schedule of Part –II (Professional misconduct).