Hallmarking is compulsory from 15th January, 2020. The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution had issued a notification where they have given time of 1 year to jewellers and retailers to register themselves with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and clear their old stock of non-hallmarked jewellery.
After hallmarking, customers will be better informed about the purity of Gold which will be in only 3 carat i.e. 14, 18 and 22. This will reduce corruption and avoid cheating.
BIS is a government body which certifies the purity of gold. The process of certifying the purity of gold is called hallmarking. There are few components that you should look for in order to make sure the purity of gold.In this article, we will look at those components in details.
1. BIS Mark
BIS is the only agency who is authorized to hallmark gold jewellery. They will have their BIS logo on the hallmarked jewellery which will indicate that it’s purity is verified in one of their licensed laboratories.
2. Purity in Karat and fineness
Purity of gold is indicated in two ways that is, Karat (denoted as KT) and fineness number.
Higher the Karat, higher the purity. Other than karat, Fineness number is used for measuring the purity of gold. It is measured in purity in parts per thousand.
Hallmarking of gold is done only for 3 levels of purity, i.e. as follows:
- 22K916 Corresponding to 22 Karat
- 18K750 Corresponding to 18 Karat
- 14K585 Corresponding to 14 Karat
The fineness number and BIS hallmark on the piece of jewellery indicate that BIS has certified it’s purity.
3. Hallmarking centre’s number
Only licensed laboratories of BIS can check the purity of gold. One can check if the hallmarking centre is licensed by BIS or not on their website.
4. Jeweller’s identification mark
The jewellery shop from where you are buying your gold jewellery will also put its identification mark. This mark can be of a BIS certified jeweller or jewellery manufacturer. There is a list on the BIS website of jewellers that are certified by it. The list can be accessed here.
There are few points you need to keep in mind
|Join Whats App Group for Pharma Jobs (BSC,MSC,B.Pharm,M.Pharm,D.Pharma.B.Tech,)|
|Join Whats App Group for Engineering Jobs Alerts(B.Tech,M.Tech,Diploma,MCA,B.Sc,M.Sc)|
- As per the BIS website, ₹35 plus taxes will be charged per gold item and For a consignment, minimum ₹200 plus taxes will be charged.
- Hallmarking is not done instantly. It may take 5 to 6 hours to get the purity of gold checked, before it is hallmarked.
- If you have a complaint regarding your hallmarked jewellery, you can contact BIS by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling them at 011-23234223.