1) The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs ( CBIC ) has cautioned the Taxpayers from Fake Messages on GST Refunds. It has been observed that some fraudulent messages are being circulated on WhatsApp, Email, and SMS, claiming to process a GST refund.
2) It clearly shows that some miscreants have started to take undue advantage of the COVID-19 crisis, by sending out fake messages with phishing links. One such link takes to a portal claimed to have been developed by GSTN. The same is fake and the Government has notified only http://www.gst.gov.in as the common portal, under the GST Laws.
3) Through such links, the taxpayers are asked to fill important information such as- Personal details, Address, Refund Details, and KYC Verification, which may not just cause financial losses to the taxpayer but also enable such unscrupulous elements to steal their personal data for mala fide intentions.
4) The CBIC also said that GST refunds can be claimed through the GST portal http://www.gst.gov.in only. Any other source, a portal with a similar interface, message claiming to process GST refunds is fraudulent.
5) Please also note that GST Network does not ask personal information, refund details and KYC verification through email, WhatsApp or SMS or through any other website. Taxpayers are advised to remain cautious against such messages and use the GST portal www.gst.gov.in for refund application or any other GST related activity.
6) Do’s and Don’ts regarding Refund applications
a) Use only GST portal www.gst.gov.in for claiming refunds
b) For any information on claiming GST refund, checking the status of the refund application read https://www.gst.gov.in/help/refund
c) Remember that GST Network never call detailed personal information and refund details on email, WhatsApp or SMS
d) Stay updated with News & Update section of www.gst.gov.in for any official and authorized information
e) In case of any query or confusion, please call GST helpdesk 1800-103-4786
a) Do not reply to any message claiming to process GST refunds
b) Do not open any link or attachment in the message
c) Never fill any personal detail and other information on any platform other than GST portal for claiming refunds
d) Do not call at the number mentioned in the message
e) Do not trust information from any source other than the GST portal which uses similar portal names and interface