As per the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notification dated March 31, 2019, the deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar has been extended to September 30, 2019.
Also, from the current financial year i.e. April 1, 2019 it is mandatory to quote and link Aadhaar number while filing income tax return (ITR).
The income tax department provides two services for assessees to help them in linking Aadhar number with PAN. These are:
- By using E-filing portal (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) or
- By an SMS-based facility.
Here is how you can link your PAN with Aadhaar by using above two methods as per your convenience.
- By using E-filing portal (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in)
- If you are already a registered user at income tax e-filing website Portal
In case you have filed your ITR last year, there are chances that that your PAN is already linked with Aadhaar as it is done by the income tax department in case details of both are already available with it.
Steps to check if your Aadhaar is already linked to your PAN:
a) Login to the website by submitting user ID as PAN, password and your date of birth.
b) Click on ‘Profile Settings’ tab and select the option ‘Link Aadhaar’.
c) The screen will show the message, ‘Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar number XXXX1234’.
- In case you are new user, register yourself on E-filing portal and follow the below steps:
- After registered, Login to the website by submitting user ID as PAN, password and your date of birth.
- Click on ‘Profile Settings’ tab and select the option ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- A form will appear where you will be required to enter details – name, date of birth and gender as per PAN record and your Aadhaar number.
Click on submit after entering the captcha code appearing on the screen. After submitted, a success message will be displayed on your screen.
- By sending an SMS to PAN service providers
If you are unable to link your PAN and Aadhaar using the e-filing website of the department then you can opt for this method for linking PAN and Aadhaar.
You can link your PAN and Aadhaar by sending a simple SMS.
You can simply send a SMS in a specific format using a keyword to the either 567678 or 56161.
The format is: UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><SPACE><10 digit PAN>
For example, if your Aadhaar number is 111122223333 and PAN is AAAPA9999Q. Then you are you are required to send sms to 567678 or 56161 as
UIDPAN 111122223333 AAAPA9999Q.