Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
1. The Ministry of Finance has extended the due date for linking of Aadhaar with PAN from March 31, 2020 to June 30th 2020.
2. Under the provisions of recently introduced Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961, with effect from 01.07.2017, all taxpayers having Aadhaar Number or Enrolment Number are required to link the same with Permanent Account Number (PAN).
3. Vide its orders dated 31.07.17, 31.08.17, 08.12.17 and 27.03.2018, in the file of even number, CBDT had allowed time till 30th June 2018 to link PAN with Aadhaar while filing the tax returns.
4. The Supreme Court of India had dismissed the petition filed by CPI Leader Binoy Viswam challenging the provisions of section 139AA of the Income Tax Act mandating linking of Aadhaar with PAN number and for filing income tax returns.
5. According to a CBDT notification dated February 13, 2020, the term ‘inoperative PAN’ would mean that an individual does not have a PAN. Further, he/ she will not be able to make financial transactions where PAN is mandatorily required to be intimated or quoted as per income tax laws.
6. The notification further clarified that once an inoperative PAN is linked with Aadhaar , then the PAN will become operative once again and the individual will be able to do all the financial transactions.
7. Section 139AA was incorporated to the Income Tax Act vide Finance Act, 2017 requiring mandatory quoting of Aadhaar or enrolment ID of Aadhaar application form for filing of income tax returns and making an application for allotment of PAN (Permanent Account Number) with effect from July 1 this year, as per the provision, non-enrolment of Aadhaar by July 2017 would render the PAN of the defaulting individual invalid, attracting serious consequences under the Income Tax Rules.
8. There are two ways to link your PAN card to your Aadhaar card: through SMS and/or through the IT department website.
9. In order to link your PAN and Aadhaar via SMS, you need to type a message in the format: UIDPAN <space> <12-digit-Aadhaar no.> <space> <Alphanumeric 10-digit PAN number>. You can send this SMS either to 567678 or 56161.
10. In order to link your PAN and Aadhaar via the IT department website, you will have to visit the IT-department website.