‘COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force’ set-up to meet economic challenges of the pandemic
1. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed the nation on combating the challenge of COVID-19.
‘2. COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force’ set-up to meet economic challenges of the pandemic
3. PM advises citizens to avoid ‘panic buying’; assures availability of essentials
Thanking the selfless service providers
4. Prime Minister said that there are many brave people who are in the forefront of fighting the COVID-19 pandemic like medical staff, police, government servants, airline staff, media persons, bus/train/auto operators and those involved in providing home delivery.
5. To pay respects to their huge service to the nation during such trying times, Prime Minister suggested that on March 22 at 5 PM, all citizens should acknowledge and salute their efforts by standing in the balconies and at the doors of their houses and clap or ring bells for five minutes as a show of appreciation .
6. He urged the local government across the country to indicate the timing through blaring out a siren at 5 PM.
Meeting the Economic Challenges
7. To deal with the economic challenges caused by the pandemic, Prime Minister announced the creation of ‘COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force’ under the Union Finance Minister.
8. The Task Force will consult stakeholders, take feedback, on the basis of which decisions will be taken to meet the challenges. The Task Force will also ensure implementation of the decisions taken to meet these challenges.
9. Prime Minister also urged the business community and higher income groups to look after the economic needs of those from lower income groups, from whom they take various services, urging them not to cut their salary on the days they are unable to render the services due to inability to come to the workplace.
10. He stressed on the importance of humanity during such times.
11. He also assured the countrymen that there would not be any shortage of essential items like food, milk, medicines etc. He urged people to not resort to panic buying.
12. Prime Minister exhorted everyone to work together and contribute fully to overcome the crisis of COVID-19. He urged the citizens not to fall prey to misinformation.
13. Prime Minister said that during the time of such a global pandemic, it is important to ensure that ‘humanity wins and India wins’.